Utazi leaves is a very common leaf in Nigeria especially in the Eastern, Western and Middle Belt areas of the country.
Many use Gangronema Latifolieum commonly reffered to as utazi as a spice leaf for pepper soup preparation, some use it to garnish foods like, ugba, abacha, roasted yam and plantain ETC.
Utazi has a bitter sweet taste which many find appleaing, the bitter taste is also a turn to many
In Nigeria, especially the very rural areas of Nigeria, people use it as a herb to treat certain ailments.
But unknowingly to many this leaf can be converted into liquid and consumed for a lot of health reasons.
So, if you hate this leaf here are 10 health benefits you can derive from drinking it’s juice.
Utazi juice is rich in minerals and vitamins such as, tannin, amino acids,alkaloids to mention but a few and together, these minerals and vitamins are beneficial to the human health in the following ways.
1. Prevention Of Cancer: utazi contains certain properties that help to prevent cancer. These antioxidants properties found in utazi help prevent cancer and where the person already has cancer, utazi helps slow the spread by fighting the cancerous cells.
Utazi juice and utazi in general is especially good for the Prevention of lung and breast cancer as certain scientific studies have shown that utazi especially when taken in abundance has the capacity of inhibiting the above mentioned types of cancer.
2. It’s Serves As a Pain Reliever: People in the rural areas usually use utazi as an effective herb for relieving pain and Inflammations.
Utazi juice or leaves when ingested has properties that can significantly reduced pain especially stomach pain and also relieve inflammation.
3. Cleansing And Protection Of The Liver: Utazi has detoxification compounds that help cleanse the liver and protect the liver from excess toxins.
Utazi juice is especially effective in cleansing and detoxifying the liver and is highly recommended for people who have suffered from hepatitis in the past.
Also, utazi juice or leaves is used to cleanse alcohol from the body and sometimes to prevent drunkenness.
4. Reduction Of Sugar Levels & Diabetes Management: utazi contains properties that help to reduce the glucose level of a person thereby regulating the body’s blood sugar and preventing diabetes.
Also, Utazi juice is effective for the management of diabetes in people that already have it. This is because, it helps regulate the body’s blood. sugar and prevents it’s from increasing rapidly.
5. Lowers The Body Cholesterol & Help Prevent Heart Attack: anti lipid is one of the several properties that utazi leafs contain. these anti lipids are very Essential to the human body and help to reduce the Cholesterol levels in the body.
And by so doing reduces the risk of a person having a heart attack as a result of Cholesterol fat blocking the arteries.
6. Prevention Of Bacterial Infections: one essential elements contained in utazi leafs is the anti bacterial compound. These anti bacterial properties such as, methanol help prevent infections caused by bacteria.
It prevents these infection by significantly slowing down the activities of bacteria germ and microganisms in the body.
7. Aids In quick Digestion & Treatment Of Diarreah: utazi leaves help in stimulating and increasing metabolic activity in the digestive system of the body thus improving digestion.
In addition to improving digestion, utazi juice is also an efficient means of treating diareah.
8. Treatment Of Malaria: utazi has long been used as a herb for treating malaria by many especially those in the rural areas.
And now, there is scientific proof that shows that utazi does infact cure malaria. This is because the utzai contains anti plasmodial properties that help it kill the malaria parasite.
9. Used As Treatment For Cold, Cough & Catarrh: Utazi leaves are a effective way of treating cold related problems like, cough and catarrh.
This is done by putting a large amount of utazi leaves into a bucket of hot water and inhaling it.
And in addition to treating cold, cough and catarrh, it also relives chest pain and headaches caused by cold.
10. Relieves Pain caused By Arthritis & Rheumatism: utazi is rich in anti inflammatory properties which helps in relieving pain caused by arthritis and rheumatism.
How To Prepare Utazi Juice.
A. Wash the utazi leaves properly with salt and rinse it thoroughly.
B. Put the utazi leaves in a sizable bowl and add a little water.
C. Use your hand to vigorously rub the wet leaves together like you do when washing a jean material.
D. Make sure you rub out the entire liquid from the leaves.
E. Sieve it to separate the juice from the leaves.
Pour it into a cup and drink it at least once a day for 7 days. Take a break of 3 days and repeat. The above should be your system of consuming the utazi juice.
You can also eat the utazi leaves raw or add it to your food as you wish. But utazi juice is the most effective.