As a parent you need to properly inform your kid because you may not always be present near your kid. You have to let your kid be independent and confident to venture out without you. Also, it is important to prepare your kid for basic safety steps in the event of an emergency.
Here are 11 kids safety rules, that will help in ensuring safety at school and home:
- Your Kid Should Know Their Names, Number And Address: Your kid may be small but it is important to teach basic contact details like you and your partner’s name and contact number. Your kid should be able to share your contact number with someone in case of an emergency. Also, knowing where home is and any nearby landmark is also important. Help your kid memorize these with regular practice at home. Also, help your kid memorize a backup number to call, like a grandparent, uncle or aunt.
- Your Kid Should Not Eat Anything Given By A Stranger:
You need to teach your kid about the dangers of eating food that is given by a stranger. No matter how tempting the treat is, if it comes from a stranger, your kid should not eat it. Teach your kid that it is dangerous to accept food from anyone. Ask them to politely refuse in case someone is offering food without your consent or in your absence.
- No One Is Allowed To Touch Your Kid’s Body:
This is a very important safety rule for kids and you should teach about it as soon as your kid can understand the basics. Teach about good touch and bad touch. Tell your kid that no one is allowed to touch your kid except mommy, and sometimes papa, if needed. If anyone else has touched your kid, your kid should immediately shout for help and alert people around.
- I Will Not Do It If I Am Uncomfortable:
No matter what your kid may be asked to do, if it makes your kid uncomfortable, your kid should NOT do it. This could be something as simple as taking off clothes in front of others. If your kid is not comfortable about it, no matter how many friends are doing it, your kid should not do it at all.
It is important that you teach your kid about these basic safety rules for kids as soon as they are able to understand. There are certain things that you can start teaching your kid as early as three years of age. Make sure you speak to your kid in an age-appropriate language. Also, always keep communication open. This will encourage your kid to tell you everything.
- Do Not Walk Off The House Premises/Compound Alone:
Your kid should know that it is not permissible to walk out of your house premises alone. If your kid needs to go out for anything, you or some known adult should be accompanying your kid at all times.
- Playing Or Experimenting With Fire Is Not Allowed:
Whether or not you are at home, your kid should know that it is absolutely not allowed to play with fire. Make sure all fire outlets are safely out of your kid’s reach.
- Never Go Anywhere With A Stranger:
Your kid should know that no matter what the reasoning, it is not safe to go anywhere with a stranger. Tell your kid that if a stranger tells them something like ‘Your mom asked you to come with me immediately,’ they should stay where they are and shout out for help. Ensure that if there is an emergency, you will always send a family member, like grandparent or aunt, to be with your kid and not a stranger.
- If You Get Lost, Stay Where You Are:
In the event that your kid gets lost, tell them it is important they stay right where they are. If they see any other mom with kids nearby, they can ask her for help. Your kid should stay inside the place and not go out, even with the other mom. Most common places where kids get lost are the super markets. Tell your kid that they can walk up to the counter of the store and tell the person they are lost.
- Do Not Share Address And Phone Details With Anyone :
Your kid should know that it is unsafe to share personal details like phone numbers, address, email ids or pictures with strangers. Any information that is shared should only be with your consent or in your presence.
- Playing With Sharp Object Is Not Allowed: Teach your kid not to play with sharp objects. Take sharp Objects away from your kid reach.
- Keep Drug Away From The Reach Of Your Kid: Let your kid know when capsule should be taken.
If you are a parent that is into drug please and please refrain from it. Do not introduce it to your kid. If you are a parent that is into alcohol, please, keep it away from your kid.
Let’s build a better future and leaders.
Amb. Ihuoma C.E
Child Advocate/Personal Development Coach